So in the show a little while ago, we talked about inspirations. What people are inspiring, and inspire others. So I was sat down doing some research. I typed in ‘inspirational people’ and all I came up with was men. All the lists contained, men and maybe a token female.
This was pretty disappointing to me, so I tried a different tack – I asked my friends, and this yielded a more positive list of inspirational people, which I will share with you now, in no particular order
- Malala Yousafzai – this is the young Pakistani girl who was shot on her way to school. Although the shooting was to be fatal, she pulled through and has since become a powerful advocate for woman and childrens rights and education. Here is a link to her wikipedia page.
- Marie Curie – this is the person who made many discoveries and pioneered research into radioactivity – she also won the Nobel Prize, not once but twice. Here is a link to her wikipedia page.
- Alan Turing – He was a pioneer in what we now view as the personal computer. He worked in Bletchley as part of the code breaking team during the second world war, and it was his work here that created the prototype. Here is a link to his wikipedia page.
- Terry Pratchett – Acclaimed British author best down for his series of Discworld novels. He was a prolific writer, who wrote not only books in the Discworld series but separate and stand alone as well as children’s books. He died from Alzheimer disease in 2015. Here is a link to his wikipedia page.
- Laverne Cox – Actress, writer, producer, activist, best known to most for her role in the Netflix series, Orange is the New Black, Laverne is making waves, having a platform on which to promote trans rights. Here is a link to her wikipedia page.
I could go on – but from this selection you can see that the people that inspire us are varied, and from all walks of life. I haven’t suggested why the above people are inspirational as such, the wiki links are there for you to check out. I want you to come to your own conclusions.
But what is also important to remember is that is isn’t just famous or well known people that can inspire you. Look around, at your friends, piers, people you work with, people you know casually. There is so much to learn and be inspired by and also know that you inspire others. This year, appreciate everything that you have done, look forward at what you can do, and look at the amazing people you are surrounded by.